Skip to content
Catholic Herald flag

Madison Catholic Herald Archive (2001-2025)

Official newspaper of the Diocese of Madison, Wisconsin

  • News
    • Around the Diocese
    • State News
    • National-World
    • Obituaries
    • Older Editions
    • Diocese of Madison’s 75th anniversary
  • Bishop
    • Bishop Hying’s Columns
    • Bishop Hying’s Letters
    • Bishop’s Schedule
    • About Bishop Hying
    • About Bishop Morlino
    • About Bishop Bullock
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Letters to the editor
    • Columns
    • Columns by name and author
  • Faith
    • Faith
    • Year of Faith
    • Faith Alive
  • Calendar
  • Obituaries
    • Clergy obituaries
    • Religious obituaries
    • Lay person obituaries
  • Multimedia
  • Advertising
    • Advertise with Us
      • Ad Policies
      • Ad Specifications
      • Classifieds Information
    • Rates & Specs (PDF)
    • Special Section Calendar (PDF)
  • About
    • About Us
    • Contact Us
    • Links
    • Catholic Herald Promotion Materials
    • Rates & Specs (PDF)
    • Subscriptions
  • Youth
  • Español
 
  • Home
  • Opinion
  • Editorial
  • A voice for peace: Let’s join the Holy Father in praying for peace
  • Editorial

A voice for peace: Let’s join the Holy Father in praying for peace

On March 31, 2011February 15, 2022
Mary C. Uhler

editor's view by Mary C. Uhler

Recently I traveled by air outside of Madison. I experienced more thorough airport screening than I had previously, reminding me that our world is a dangerous place.

Violence can be found in almost every corner of the globe. We know there are legitimate reasons for people to fight against tyranny and oppression or to defend themselves against aggression.

However, it seems that people and nations often resort to violence as the first rather than the last resort. The “shoot first, ask questions later” mentality seems to be prevailing throughout the world.

A voice for peace

One voice crying for peace is Pope Benedict XVI. He has appealed for a suspension of fighting in Libya and the immediate start of a serious dialogue aimed at restoring peace to the North African country, reported a Catholic News Service article.

Speaking at his weekly blessing March 27, the pope said he was increasingly concerned about the situation in Libya, where rebels supported by U.S. and European airstrikes have battled the forces of Libyan leader Moammar Gadhafi.

“My fear for the safety and well-being of the civilian population is growing, as is my apprehension over how the situation is developing with the use of arms,” the pope said. “To international agencies and to those with political and military responsibility, I make a heartfelt appeal for the immediate start of a dialogue that will suspend the use of arms.”

The pope said that in moments of great international tension, there was more urgency for diplomatic efforts that take advantage of “even the weakest sign of openness to reconciliation” among the parties in conflict. Solutions should be “peaceful and lasting,” he said.

The pope offered a prayer for “the return of harmony in Libya” and throughout North Africa.

Concern about Middle East

He also expressed concern about the entire region of the Middle East, where episodes of violence and civil unrest were taking place daily. In Syria, more than 50 people were reported killed in anti-government demonstrations in late March.

“My thoughts go to the authorities and citizens of the Middle East. .  .  . There, too, the path of dialogue and reconciliation should be chosen for a just and brotherly coexistence,” he said.

The Vatican planned to send an observer to the international conference on Libya scheduled for March 29 in London. He said Archbishop Antonio Mennini, the apostolic nuncio to Great Britain, would represent the Vatican at the one-day meeting, which was convened to assess the Libyan intervention.

U.S. bishops urge caution

A U.S. bishop urged the Obama administration to stay focused on a limited goal in Libya and on the well-being of the civilian population.

In a letter to National Security Adviser Thomas Donilon, Bishop Howard J. Hubbard of Albany, N.Y., chairman of the Committee on International Justice and Peace of the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops, urged a careful use of force in Libya balanced with the aim of protecting the civilian population and consideration of whether the use of force is “proportionate to the goal of protecting civilians.”

The letter was dated March 24 and made public the following day, reported Catholic News Service.

The bishop said the purpose articulated in U.N. Security Council Resolution 1973 to demand “a cease-fire and a complete end to violence and all attacks against, and abuses of, civilians” appears to meet the traditional criterion of “just cause,” but said the U.S. bishops joined Pope Benedict XVI in following the military action with “great apprehension.”

As we follow the events in Libya and throughout the world, let us join with our Holy Father and bishops in praying for peaceful solutions to these conflicts and urging the United States government to exercise caution and prudence in our involvement in any conflicts.

Share this:

  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X
In EditorialIn Archbishop Antonio Mennini , bishop howard j. hubbard , dialgoue , libya , middle east , moammar gadhafi , Obama , peace , Pope Benedict XVI , syria , thomas donilon , United Nations Security Council Resolution 1973

Post navigation

Lent calls us to grow in our Easter faith
Other Knights of Columbus councils formed since 2000

This webite, madisoncatholicheraldarchive.org, covers Catholic Herald content from October 11, 2001 to September 18, 2008 (HTML-based website) and September 19, 2008 to October 8, 2025 (WordPress-based website).

To view content prior to 9/19/2008, browse our older editions (FreeFind site search no longer available).

To search content from 9/19/2008 to 10/8/2025, use the search box above.

For newer content, please visit madisoncatholicherald.org (FAITH Catholic-based website).

e-Edition:

click to go to the Catholic Herald e-Edition

Access our e-Edition here. For more information, contact the Catholic Herald office at 608-821-3070 or email: [email protected]

Most popular:

  • National Vocation Awareness Week is November 3-9
  • Relic of St. John Paul II coming to Wisconsin Dells
  • Holy Days of Obligation
  • Diocesan seminarians plan annual Caroling Tour
  • New parish merger — Epiphany of the Lord

Bishop Hying’s videos:

'A Moment with the Bishop' videos on YouTube

Promote the Catholic Herald:

click for Catholic Herald promotion materials

Click here for information and materials to promote the Catholic Herald in your parish.

RSS feeds

RSS feed

You May Like

  • Editorial
Mary C. Uhler, Catholic Herald Staff
On August 7, 2014February 15, 2022

The state of our unions: We should be concerned about marriage in our country

  • Editorial
  • Opinion
Kevin Wondrash
On June 15, 2022June 14, 2022

We’re living in ‘the past’

  • Editorial
Mary C. Uhler, Catholic Herald Staff
On April 19, 2018February 15, 2022

Thank you, volunteers!

  • Editorial
Mary C. Uhler, editor
On August 13, 2009February 15, 2022

Alumni need to step forward to support Catholic schools

  • Editorial
Mary C. Uhler, Catholic Herald Staff
On January 23, 2019February 15, 2022

Catholic schools are a gift to our nation

  • Editorial
Mary C. Uhler
On November 17, 2011February 15, 2022

Abstinence education: Why it’s more important than ever

  • Catholic Herald on Facebook

Copyright © 2001-2025 Diocese of Madison, Catholic Herald. All rights reserved.
Website created by Leemark.com and Catholic Herald staff using Telegram theme.