Skip to content
Catholic Herald flag

Madison Catholic Herald Archive (2001-2025)

Official newspaper of the Diocese of Madison, Wisconsin

  • News
    • Around the Diocese
    • State News
    • National-World
    • Obituaries
    • Older Editions
    • Diocese of Madison’s 75th anniversary
  • Bishop
    • Bishop Hying’s Columns
    • Bishop Hying’s Letters
    • Bishop’s Schedule
    • About Bishop Hying
    • About Bishop Morlino
    • About Bishop Bullock
  • Opinion
    • Editorial
    • Letters to the editor
    • Columns
    • Columns by name and author
  • Faith
    • Faith
    • Year of Faith
    • Faith Alive
  • Calendar
  • Obituaries
    • Clergy obituaries
    • Religious obituaries
    • Lay person obituaries
  • Multimedia
  • Advertising
    • Advertise with Us
      • Ad Policies
      • Ad Specifications
      • Classifieds Information
    • Rates & Specs (PDF)
    • Special Section Calendar (PDF)
  • About
    • About Us
    • Contact Us
    • Links
    • Catholic Herald Promotion Materials
    • Rates & Specs (PDF)
    • Subscriptions
  • Youth
  • Español
 
  • Home
  • News
  • Around the Diocese
  • Celebrating 175 years of faith in Shullsburg
  • Around the Diocese

Celebrating 175 years of faith in Shullsburg

On July 29, 2010September 18, 2024
--
photo of inside of St. Matthew Church in Shullsburg
An interior view of St. Matthew Church in Shullsburg. In addition to its exquisite altar and reredos, the church has impressive stained glass windows and life-sized paintings of scenes from Christ’s life.
(Catholic Herald photo/Joe Ptak)

SHULLSBURG — 2010 marks the 175th anniversary of St. Matthew Parish in Shullsburg. The parish is planning a number of summer events culminating with Mass celebrated by Bishop Robert C. Morlino on Sunday, Sept. 12, at 12 noon, immediately followed by dinner in the parish hall. The celebration continues throughout the day with kids games and a raffle drawing at 4 p.m.

Leading up to the celebration is a special Mass on Saturday, Aug. 21, at 7 p.m. at which luminaries will be lit in memory of or in honor of those special people in the lives of the parishioners or anyone who would like to make a donation for a luminary which will be decorated by the parish children. Sr. Mary Paynter, Vice-Postulator for the Cause of Fr. Samuel Mazzuchelli, OP, will speak at the Mass. The parish will also host an ice cream social as part of this special day.

Short history of St. Matthew Parish

Fr. Samuel Mazzuchelli founded the parish in August of 1835 and named it after the Apostle Matthew. The property consisting of four acres bounded by Peace, Charity, Truth, and Judgment Sts. was donated by John Ryan and John Roberts to be used for a church, school, and cemetery. Today, after 171 years (the current church 145 years), the site stands as solid as the day it was built.

The original church was built in 1841 as a wood frame structure and was located on the corner of Pious and Wisdom St., just east of the present cemetery. Church records show the cornerstone for the current church was laid on June 19, 1853, by then Bishop Loras of Dubuque. The current church was built from native limestone from the Rennick quarry south of Shullsburg and the slabs for windowsills came from the Emerson mill.

It is recorded that the dedication and first Mass was offered in the new church on St. Patrick’s Day in 1861. The records show that funds were not plentiful and it took several years to finish the church. Meanwhile the first church served the congregation during the construction, and thereafter it was used as a school until it was dismantled in later years. The school was the first public school in Shullsburg and records show that William Ahern was the first teacher, a graduate of Maynooth College in Ireland, a real educator of early Shullsburg.

Continuing the faith

Father Mazzuchelli served as pastor from 1835 through 1841 and assisted in the design of the current church. The interior of the new church remained more or less unfinished for some years and records show the church was not entirely decorated until 1883. The current altar was not added until December 1896 at the cost of $1,262.75 and the Stations of the Cross were not added until 1898. The life size oil paintings, aside from their religious significance, are beautiful and valuable works of art. They were done by an impoverished artist who boarded with pastor Fr. James Kinsella and was paid $670 by donations of various organizations and individuals of the parish. The stained glass memorial windows were installed in 1907.

On October 12, 1866, three Dominican nuns from Sinsinawa came to Shullsburg and started St. Rose Parochial school. In 1895, many of the lead mines were closed and the congregation reduced from 300 to 65 families; the school had to be discontinued. The school building now used by the St. Vincent de Paul Society was dedicated in the fall of 1919 with the Sisters of Mercy of Janesville furnishing four teachers.

Father Mazzuchelli, founder of this parish and the founder of the Dominican Sisters of Sinsinawa Mound in 1847, played an important role in the settlement of the Shullsburg area. Many of the churches he built still stand as a tribute to his architectural talents. St. Augustine Church in New Diggings is an example of the wood frame style commonly used in that era. Father Mazzuchelli named all the streets in the northeast section of Shullsburg, named after all the virtues we should live by.

History information provided by George Burns.

Share this:

  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X
In Around the DioceseIn 175th anniversary , Shullsburg , St. Matthew Parish

Post navigation

Wisconsin Dells parish welcomes visitors
Sister Janet Ewens, OP, dies

This webite, madisoncatholicheraldarchive.org, covers Catholic Herald content from October 11, 2001 to September 18, 2008 (HTML-based website) and September 19, 2008 to October 8, 2025 (WordPress-based website).

To view content prior to 9/19/2008, browse our older editions (FreeFind site search no longer available).

To search content from 9/19/2008 to 10/8/2025, use the search box above.

For newer content, please visit madisoncatholicherald.org (FAITH Catholic-based website).

e-Edition:

click to go to the Catholic Herald e-Edition

Access our e-Edition here. For more information, contact the Catholic Herald office at 608-821-3070 or email: [email protected]

Most popular:

  • Making truthful choices of conscience
  • Your guide to our local fish fries
  • Priest appointments announced
  • Edgewood hosts panel on women in journalism
  • New parish merger announced

Please support our advertisers:

  • Your ad could be here! Call (608) 821-3074

Bishop Hying’s videos:

'A Moment with the Bishop' videos on YouTube

Promote the Catholic Herald:

click for Catholic Herald promotion materials

Click here for information and materials to promote the Catholic Herald in your parish.

RSS feeds

RSS feed

You May Like

  • Around the Diocese
Kevin Wondrash
On November 5, 2014

Women make promises in new Widows of Prayer group

  • Around the Diocese
Mary C. Uhler, Catholic Herald Staff
On March 15, 2018

Dead Theologians Society is growing youth apostolate

  • Around the Diocese
Kevin Wondrash
On February 4, 2015

Events at Schoenstatt Heights

  • Around the Diocese
  • Front page
  • News
Angela Curio
On June 28, 2023June 26, 2023

Janesville couple takes part in Dare to Believe film featuring Bishop Hying

  • Around the Diocese
Kevin Wondrash, Catholic Herald Staff
On August 27, 2015

Hundreds protest Planned Parenthood in Madison

  • Around the Diocese
Kevin Wondrash
On August 15, 2013

Holy Rosary Parish thanks mobile pantry volunteers

  • Catholic Herald on Facebook

Copyright © 2001-2025 Diocese of Madison, Catholic Herald. All rights reserved.
Website created by Leemark.com and Catholic Herald staff using Telegram theme.